Top 100 university for Civil and Structural Engineering – QS World University Rankings by subject 2017
The School of Civil Engineering is globally renowned for its teaching, research and engagement with industry and government. We’re one of the largest and longest established Civil Engineering schools in the UK with just over 650 students from over 70 countries studying with us.
According to the Research Excellence Framework 2014, we’re second in the UK for research power.
- 3rd in the Guardian university league tables 2018
- 7th in The Times and The Sunday Times Good University Guide 2018
- 7th in The Complete University Guide 2018
- 98% overall student satisfaction in the National Student Survey (NSS) 2017 - ranked 1st out of the Russell Group universities
- Top 100 university for Civil and Structural Engineering – QS World University Rankings by subject 2017
- Top 100 university for engineering and technology - Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2018
The University of Leeds was named University of the Year in 2017 by The Times and The Sunday Times’ Good University Guide.
Research Excellence Framework (REF) 2014
Every six years, the UK’s four higher education funding bodies undertake an exercise to measure the quality of research undertaken by UK higher education institutions (HEIs). The funding bodies use the outcomes to inform the allocation of their research funding to HEIs. The Research Excellence Framework was the framework used in 2014.
Unit of assessment: Civil and Construction Engineering
- 3.04 overall quality profile
- 7th in the UK for research quality
- 2nd nationally for research power
- 100% of our research environment is conducive to producing research of ‘world-leading’ or ‘internationally excellent’ quality
- 92% of our research has either ‘outstanding’ or ‘very considerable’ impact
- 85% of our research is ‘world-leading’ or ‘internationally excellent’
- 80% of our research outputs are ‘world-leading’ or ‘internationally excellent’
Our research power, and the funding it attracts, means we’re able to invest in world-class facilities and academic staff who are actively engaged in cutting-edge research. As a result, you’ll be taught by internationally renowned, inspirational academics working at the forefront of their fields – academics who share your passion for the subject.
Our Industrial Advisory Committee, which enhances the links between the School and our industrial partners, along with the Joint Board of Moderators (JBM), help ensure our programmes are of the highest standard and meet the needs of industry.