Our academics and postgraduate researchers have access to the following specialist facilities and laboratories, which our undergraduate and Masters students may benefit from during their project work.
- Public health laboratories with separate areas for solid waste, water and wastewater, a class II microbiology lab and clean room for molecular biology work including PCR techniques.
- A Class II aerobiology chamber that can be used for room-scale bioaerosol experiments.
- Bioaerosol sampling equipment for lab and site-based studies and in-house waste respirometers to measure process reaction rates.
- Bench-top testing facilities to look at the fundamental behaviour of materials and soils.
- Microbiology laboratory capable of dealing with microorganisms up to ACDP category II.
- Molecular biology laboratory equipped for various PCR based techniques used for detecting and characterising microbial populations in environmental samples (e.g. 16S rRNA gene library construction).
- Solid waste management sample preparation laboratory
- Testing rigs for full-scale structures built of construction materials including recycled materials and composite materials.
- Research laboratories to investigate the behaviour of soil in various environments, advanced techniques to study the micro behaviour of cementitious materials, full-scale field monitoring of structures and building services.
- Computational facilities including our own in-house provision as well as access to high-performance computing for particularly intensive analytical work. Software includes industry-standard CFD, structural and geotechnical modelling and Building Information Modelling packages as well as a range of bespoke tools developed within research groups.
We are committed to sharing our facilities and associated expertise with external academic and industrial collaborators. To make an enquiry please email email@example.com.
If you are looking to locate a particular item of research equipment you can search the N8 database, which holds details of all the equipment and facilities across the N8 university partnership.