Ranked top 10 for computer science - Guardian university league tables 2018
In 1957, the University of Leeds was one of the first universities in the UK to buy a computer. This was a revolutionary development in university science and engineering, and the springboard for academic computer science in the university. Today, the School of Computing has a global reputation for its teaching and research with 450 students from over 45 countries studying with us. Over 85% of our research was rated as ‘world-leading’ or ‘internationally excellent’ by the Research Excellence Framework 2014.
- 9th in the Guardian university league tables 2018
- 15th in The Complete University Guide 2018
- 84% overall student satisfaction in the National Student Survey (NSS) 2017.
The University of Leeds was named University of the Year in 2017 by The Times and The Sunday Times’ Good University Guide.
Research Excellence Framework (REF) 2014
Every six years, the UK’s four higher education funding bodies undertake an exercise to measure the quality of research undertaken by UK higher education institutions (HEIs). The funding bodies use the outcomes to inform the allocation of their research funding to HEIs. The Research Excellence Framework was the framework used in 2014.
Unit of assessment: Computer Science and Informatics
- 3.17 overall quality profile
- 100% of our research has either ‘outstanding’ or ‘very considerable’ impact
- 86% of our research is ‘world-leading’ or ‘internationally excellent’
- 100% of our research environment is conducive to producing research of ‘world-leading’ or ‘internationally excellent’ quality
- 77.9% of our research outputs are ‘world-leading’ or ‘internationally excellent.
The quality of our research, and the funding it attracts, means we’re able to invest in world-class facilities and academic staff who are actively engaged in cutting-edge research. As a result, you’ll be taught by internationally renowned, inspirational academics working at the forefront of their fields – academics who share your passion for the subject. It also means our programmes are at the forefront of knowledge and thinking.
Our Industrial Advisory Board, which enhances the links between the School and our industrial partners, along with the British Computer Scociety (BCS), help ensure our programmes are of the highest standard and meet the needs of industry.