3rd in the UK for Electrical and Electronic Engineering, The Times and The Sunday Times Good University Guide (2019)
Ranked top 10 in the UK for Electronic and Electrical Engineering - Guardian, Complete University Guide (2019)
The School of Electronic and Electrical Engineering is one of the leading Electronic and Electrical Engineering schools in the UK with over 100 years’ experience in both teaching and research excellence. We have over 550 students from 60 countries studying with us.
We’re in the top five in the UK for the quality of our research, in our unit of assessment, according to the Research Excellence Framework (REF) 2014.
- 3rd in the UK for Electrical and Electronic Engineering, The Times and The Sunday Times Good University Guide 2019
- 8th in the Guardian university league tables 2019
- 9th in The Complete University Guide 2019
- 9th in The Times and The Sunday Times Good University Guide 2018
- Top 5 in the UK and 97% (for overall student satisfaction) for electronic and electrical engineering in the National Student Survey 2018 (NSS 2018)
- Top 200 university for Electronic and Electrical Engineering – QS World University Rankings by Subject 2019.
- The University of Leeds is among the top 100 universities, QS World University Rankings 2019
- We achieved a Gold rating in the Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF) the highest award possible
- The University of Leeds was named University of the Year in 2017 by The Times and The Sunday Times’ Good University Guide.
Research Excellence Framework (REF) 2014
Every six years, the UK’s four higher education funding bodies undertake an exercise to measure the quality of research undertaken by UK higher education institutions (HEIs). The funding bodies use the outcomes to inform the allocation of their research funding to HEIs. The Research Excellence Framework was the framework used in 2014.
Unit of assessment: Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Metallurgy and Materials
- Ranked 2nd in the UK for Electronic and Electrical Engineering
- Top 5 in the UK in a combined unit of assessment
- 3.41 overall quality profile
- 100% of our research outputs are ‘world-leading’ or ‘internationally excellent’
- 100% of our research have either ‘outstanding’ or ‘very considerable’ impact
- 100% of our research environment is conducive to producing research of ‘world-leading’ or ‘internationally excellent’ quality.
The quality of our research, and the funding it attracts, means we’re able to invest in world-class facilities and academic staff who are actively engaged in cutting-edge research. As a result, you’ll be taught by internationally renowned, inspirational academics working at the top of their fields – academics who share your passion for the subject. It also means our programmes are at the forefront of knowledge and thinking.
Our Industrial Advisory Committee, which enhances the links between the School and our industrial partners, along with the Institution of Engineering and Technology (IET), help ensure our programmes are of the highest standard and meet the needs of industry.