Academic Technology Approval Scheme (ATAS)

International applicants only
The UK Government’s Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) operates a scheme called the Academic Technology Approval Scheme (ATAS). If you’re an international (non-EU/EEA or Swiss citizen) applicant and require a student visa to study in the UK then you’ll need an ATAS certificate to study any of the following programmes at the University of Leeds:

School of Mechanical Engineering

  • H410 MEng, BEng Aeronautical and Aerospace Engineering
  • H330 MEng, BEng Automotive Engineering
  • H300 MEng, BEng Mechanical Engineering
  • H300 MSc (Eng) Advanced Mechanical Engineering
  • H330 MSc (Eng) Automotive Engineering
  • H400 MSc Aerospace Engineering

School of Chemical and Process Engineering

  • H800 MEng, BEng Chemical Engineering
  • H801 MEng, BEng Chemical and Energy Engineering
  • H891 MEng, BEng Chemical and Nuclear Engineering
  • HJ85 MEng, BEng Chemical and Materials Engineering
  • H851 MEng, BEng Petroleum Engineering
  • G591 MSc Materials Science and Engineering
  • H331 MSc Sustainable Energy Systems
  • H810 MSc Chemical Engineering
  • H851 MSc Petroleum Production Engineering

If you need an ATAS certificate and do not have one, your visa application will be refused, which could result in you being unable to join your programme.

Application process
The ATAS application is an online process so if we offer you a place on one of the above programmes, we’ll send you more information about ATAS, the programme JACS code and the modules you’ll be studying so that you can complete your ATAS application on the FCO website. Once completed, your ATAS certificate will be emailed to you.

You can apply for an ATAS certificate up to six months before your programme starts. We advise you to apply for ATAS as soon as possible, and no later than one month before you need to apply for your visa. Be aware that at peak times it can take at least 20 working days to process your ATAS certificate.

Each ATAS certificate is only valid for a specific programme at a specific university. If you apply for more than one programme requiring an ATAS certificate, and are unsure which one you’ll accept, then you need to apply for an ATAS certificate for each one, even if all of the programmes are at the same university.

Once you have your ATAS certificate, you’ll be able to apply for your student visa.

More information about ATAS is available on the FCO website.