The Surgical Technologies group is the result of a long-established collaboration between the School of Mechanical Engineering and the Academic Unit of Surgical Sciences. This brings close ties to Leeds NHS Teaching Hospitals Trust and Psychological Sciences:
- Dr Peter Culmer, Research Group Lead, School of Mechanical Engineering
- Dr Ali Alazmani, School of Mechanical Engineering
- Professor David Jayne, Academic Unit of Surgical Sciences.
Our research has three core engineering-science interests:
- Sensing Technology
- Soft Systems
- In-vitro Simulation.
We use our clinical links to apply these to challenges in surgery and healthcare.
Collaborations and partnerships
Our growing research team includes PhD students with engineering and surgical backgrounds, Research Fellows and academic staff. In addition to academic and clinical links, we work actively with industry to optimise existing products and translate research into new commercial products:
- STORM Lab, Leeds: Our partner lab - leading research into Surgical Robotics @ Leeds
- The Crist@L Research Group: Perception, Action and Cognition in Surgery
- IMPRESS: Incontinence Management and Prevention through Engineering and Sciences
- NIHR HTC in Colorectal Therapies
- Leeds EPSRC National Facility for Innovative Robotic Systems
If you'd like to hear more, please contact Dr Peter Culmer.