Top 5 in the UK for Mechanical Engineering - The Times and The Sunday Times Good University Guide 2019.
Globally renowned for our teaching and research, the School of Mechanical Engineering is one of the leading Mechanical Engineering schools in the UK. We have over 1000 students from over 65 countries studying with us.
We’re second in the UK for Mechanical Engineering for the quality of our research according to the Research Excellence Framework (REF) 2014.
- Top 150 university for Mechanical, Aeronautical and Manufacturing Engineering – QS World University Rankings by Subject 2018
- 3rd in The Guardian University league tables 2019
- 4th in The Times and The Sunday Times Good University Guide 2019
- 7th in The Complete University Guide 2019
- 96% overall student satisfaction for mechanical engineering in the National Student Survey 2018 (NSS 2018).
Aeronautical and Manufacturing Engineering
- 5th in The Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide 2019
- 6th in The Complete University Guide 2019
- The University of Leeds is among the top 100 universities, QS World University Rankings 2019
- We achieved a Gold rating in the Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF) the highest award possible
- The University of Leeds was named University of the Year in 2017 by The Times and The Sunday Times’ Good University Guide.
Research Excellence Framework (REF) 2014
Every six years, the UK’s four higher education funding bodies undertake an exercise to measure the quality of research undertaken by UK higher education institutions (HEIs). The funding bodies use the outcomes to inform the allocation of their research funding to HEIs. The Research Excellence Framework was the framework used in 2014.
Unit of assessment: Aeronautical, Mechanical, Chemical and Manufacturing Engineering
- Ranked 2nd in the UK for Mechanical Engineering
- Joint fourth for the quality of our research in our unit of assessment
- 3.14 overall quality profile
- 100% of our research has either ‘outstanding’ or ‘very considerable’ impact
- 84% of our research is ‘world-leading’ or ‘internationally excellent’
- 100% of our research environment is conducive to producing research of ‘world-leading’ or ‘internationally excellent’ quality
- 75% of our research outputs are ‘world-leading’ or ‘internationally excellent’.
The quality of our research, and the funding it attracts, means we’re able to invest in world-class facilities and academic staff who are actively engaged in cutting-edge research. As a result, you’ll be taught by internationally renowned, inspirational academics working at the forefront of their fields – academics who share your passion for the subject.
Our Industrial Advisory Committee, which enhances the links between the School and our industrial partners, along with the Institute of Mechanical Engineers (IMechE), help ensure our programmes are of the highest standard and meet the needs of industry.