- Energy efficient communication systems and networks supported by a £5.9m EPSRC programme grant. Our work has been taken up by a number of industrial partners, most notably the GreenTouch consortium. It covers the following areas:
- Improving energy efficiency in core IP over WDM networks considering core networks with data centers, elastic optical networks, video content caching networks, peer-to-peer and cloud networks, virtualised, software defined and information centric networks, next generation routing protocols, and network carbon footprint reduction through optimum use of renewable energy.
- Energy efficient IoT networks using cloud technology and resource virtualization.
- Energy efficient Cloud networks providing intelligent cloud networks for the different cloud services.
- Energy efficient data center networks: providing novel optical interconnectivity inside data centers using state of the art optical components.
- Optical wireless (OW) systems – focusing on visible light communications (VLC) based on white light emitting diodes (LEDs), multi-beam optical systems, beam steering and adaptation
- Wireless and cellular systems and networks: specialising in ‘Internet of Things’ and ‘Drive through the Internet’ with a particular emphasis on energy efficient vehicular cloud, vehicular infotainment and smart cities, cloud assisted driving for autonomous cars, route and time optimisation of electric vehicles.
- High-performance networking including architecture, design and analysis of high-performance switches and Internet routers.
- Next Generation Networks and networks for data centres, with an emphasis on hardware-software co-design and Software-Defined Networking (SDN).
If you are interested in collaborating with us or joining our research team, please get in touch.