Research highlights include:
- Innovate UK project £1.7m “Driving down the cost of waste derived sugar” This project will build on UK expertise in recycling of household waste to recover a clean cellulose.
- Innovate UK project £3.2m “Bioplastic polymers based on aromatic dicarboxylic acids derived from lignin” Bacterial degradation can be used to produce organic chemicals from lignin that are suitable for bioplastic manufacture.
- Investigations on algae cultivated under both autotrophic and heterotrophic conditions utilising a range of waste derived nutrient streams and the development of photo-bioreactors for intensive biomass production.
- Sustainable energy from biomass. Current areas include: matching fuels to conversion processes; energy densification through; fuel additives or fuel blending to mitigate ash problems; assessing the self-heating properties during biomass storage.
- ACS Green Chemistry Roundtable Award “Process Development of Continuous Flow Oxidative Biotransformations.”