Tribology is the science of interacting surfaces in relative motion, and it studies friction, wear and lubrication. Many devices and systems are limited by their surfaces and interfaces. We focus on studying the interface processes that define friction and wear performance of engineering systems such as pistons and cylinder liner contacts in car engines, between the turbine blade and the casing in an aircraft engine, brakes, bearings, artificial hip joints, surfaces between the tool and workpiece in metal grinding and forming.
Our aim is to improve the understanding of surface-surface interactions to reduce friction and wear and from this develop mechanistic and numerical tribology models. With our research, we provide the knowledge basis for developing novel, low friction and durable tribological systems (lubricants, coatings, machine elements, medical devices).
We collaborate closely with a number of research groups in UK, USA, Europe, China and Japan, through joint research projects, exchange of research staff and co-organising research events. We have strong partnerships with lubricant industry, OEMs, surface engineering and medical devices industries.
- Machine elements: bearings, pumps, Continuous Variable Transmission systems, automatic and manual gearing systems
- Automotive: journal bearings, valve train, powertrain system, transmission system, components for electric vehicle transmission
- Energy: wind turbine gearboxes, components in power plant
- Manufacturing: metalworking fluids, surfaces in grinding and tool wear
- Biomedical: medical implants and soft tissue interfaces
- Aerospace and space: solid lubrication and high temperature erosion/abrasion
Every two years we host the Leeds-Lyon Symposium on Tribology which is one of the premier events in the world tribology calendar.
If you are interested in collaborating with us or joining our research team, please contact us.
Professor Anne Neville
Professor Ardian Morina
Dr Michael Bryant
Dr Shahriar Kosarieh
Dr Cayetano Espejo
Dr Chun Wang
Dr Farnaz Salehi
Dr Ali Ghanbarzadeh
Dr Abdel Dorgham
Dr Pourya Parsaeian
Dr Siavash Soltanahmadi
Dr Sadegh Sharaki