What will I learn?
This course is specifically designed to provide you with an introduction to the thermal treatment option for the disposal of municipal solid waste (MSW). It will give you detailed coverage of the various thermal treatment processes and associated issues.
How will I benefit?
You’ll gain an excellent insight into thermal treatment technologies and policies.
- Emissions from thermal treatment of waste
- Regulation of incineration plants under the Environmental Permitting Regulations
- Flue gas emissions control
- Sampling and analysis of emissions
- Operational aspects of incineration
- Health effects of waste incineration
- CFD Modelling of incinerators, gasifiers and pyrolysis
- Large scale municipal solid waste (MSW) incineration technologies
- Energy recovery
- Pyrolysis and gasification of MSW
- Stakeholder and community consultation for energy from waste
- Bottom ash utilisation
- The option of solid recovered fuel/refuse derived fuel (SRF/RDF)
- Thermal technologies – procurement, markets and deliverability
- Economic and commercial issues in waste management.
The 2017 course programme and leaflet will be available approximately 3 months prior to the course. However, you can view and download the 2016 course details for further information by clicking the course leaflet and course programme link.
Who should attend?
This course is for you if you’re a waste disposal engineer, or someone who works for a company or local authority which is either considering, or is already involved in, the thermal treatment option for treatment of municipal solid waste.
What our delegates say
"A comprehensive overview of thermal treatment of waste." Environment Agency
"Excellent insight into this extremely interesting and developing industry." Veolia UK
"This is a very well organised, well run and informative course. Suitable for anyone involved in the sector." a1-cbiss
2016 Speakers included:
Dr Amin Ajum, Environment Agency
Doug Barlow, Veolia
Dr Stephen Burnley, The Open University
Gerard Carroll, Ace Furnace Consulting Ltd
Ian Crummack, Cobalt Energy Limited
Stuart Hayward-Higham, SUEZ Recycling and Recovery UK
Marie Keller, Veolia
Dr Brian Moyle, Servomex Group Ltd
John Twitchen, env23
John Wade, MVV Environment Limited
Kathryn Warren, Ricardo Energy & Environment
Dr Kevin Whiting, WSP | Parsons Brinckerhoff
David York, Ballast Phoenix Ltd
- cost of tuition
- course materials
- light refreshments
- course dinner on Monday 18 September.
10% discount for local authorities and the Environment Agency.
Weetwood Hall Conference Centre and Hotel
The course will take place at the Weetwood Hall Hotel and Conference Centre, which is situated to the north of Leeds at the junction of the A660 Leeds - Skipton road and the A6120 Outer Ring Road.
Any accommodation requests should be made direct with the hotel and will be subject to availability and rates.
CPD Conference and Events Unit
Faculty of Engineering,
University of Leeds,