The course is specifically designed to provide a thorough grounding in all aspects of clinical nutrition and
- summarise national nutrition drivers to provide a foundation for the course
- increase awareness of nutritional compromise and its consequences; give practical guidance on assessment of patients, and discuss particular patient groups (surgicalpatients, those with irritable bowel syndrome, renal disease, eating disorders and liver disease).
- discuss practicalities of feeding in terms of ethics, different methods of feeding and understand more about different techniques to give artificial nutrition.
- establish principles of nutritional importance in extreme clinical situations (short bowel syndrome, refeeding syndrome, parenteral nutrition).
Day 1: Assessment and different clinical scenarios
- Nutrition and risk – what can we do?
- Estimating nutritional requirements
- Normal BMI
- Very underweight
- Short bowel syndrome
- Obesity/bariatric surgery
- Dietary management of IBS
- Nutrition and the liver patient.
Day 2: Enteral feeding and difficult feeding
- Practicalities of enteral feeding
- Nutrition and eating disorders
- PEGs/gastrostomy tubes
- Jejunal feeding tubes
- Drugs via NG tubes
- NGs, nasal bridles, etc.
- Preventing the refeeding syndrome
- Managing nutrition in the complex EDS patient
- Nutrition in IBD
- Nutrition and the surgical patient.
Day 3: Paediatric consequences, ethics and parenteral nutrition
- Paediatric surgery and nutritional consequences for children and adults
- Ethics of feeding
- Pharmacy and parenteral nutrition
- Psychological aspects of home parenteral nutrition
- Kullavanijaya International Guest Lecture: Managing home parenteral nutrition
- Short bowel syndrome
- PN issues – working out requirements
- Management of abnormal LFTs.
Exhibition and sponsorship opportunities
As in previous years, there will be a small exhibition of related products from the pharmaceutical, equipment and food industries.
Exhibition stands are available to book as a 2 day package (Wednesday and Thursday) and the fee for companies wishing to mount a display, including lunch for 2 representatives is:
2 Day Exhibition space (Wednesday 11th and Thursday 12th September) is £550
Sponsorship of a guest lecture is also available at a cost of £1250 and entitles your company to an exhibition stand and participation in the course for two people, saving over £1,000 (although attendance at the course dinner is charged separately). As a sponsor, your company name and logo would appear on the revised programme and course materials distributed to all participants attending this event. The logo can also be included on our designated Clinical Nutrition webpage with a link to your company webpage.
How to Book
Companies wishing to exhibit and/or sponsor should complete the online booking process through our secure online store here
Due to capacity at the venue, exhibition places are limited so we would advise booking your stand as early as possible to avoid disappointment.
For further information on exhibition and/or sponsorship opportunities please e-mail us at email@example.com or call Katie Warner on 0113 343 8104.
Who should attend?
The Leeds Course in Clinical Nutrition is aimed at you if you’re a professional with an interest in clinical nutrition. It will particularly appeal to you if you have an interest in patient nutrition or if you’re a:
- hospital pharmacist
- nursing staff member
- others with interest in patient nutrition.
What our delegates say
"Excellent course content, well presented and put together. The workshops were excellent."
"Course content excellent with a wide variety of topics."
"Fabulous, fabulous, fabulous! Thank you"
“Excellent course, covering a wide range of nutrition topics with excellent speakers.”
"Wonderful experience. Fantastic course"
"Excellent speakers. Good balance of lectures and practical workshops"
Dr Clare Donnellan - Consultant Gastroenterologist, The Leeds Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust
For details of our invited speakers please view or download the full programme.
The 2019 Leeds Course in Clinical Nutrition’ (code: 124708) has been approved by the Federation of the Royal Colleges of Physicians of the United Kingdom for 17 category 1 (external) CPD credit(s).
The course has also been endorsed by BAPEN, the British Dietetic Association (BDA), British Society of Gastroenterology (BSG) and the National Nurses Nutrition Group (NNNG). BDA endorsement applies only to the educational
content of the learning activity.
Please note the 2019 course is currently being reviewed for reaccreditation by the above professional bodies.
NHS/academic employees fee £505
A discount fee is available for BSG members. Please contact Katie Warner if you are a BSG member.
Course fees include:
- cost of tuition
- course materials
- light refreshments
- and the course dinner on Wednesday evening
Registration will take place in the School of Electrical & Electronic Engineering (Woodhouse Lane)
Faculty of Engineering
University of Leeds
Car parking for visitors is unavailable at the University.
The nearest public car park is Woodhouse Lane (multi storey) at LS1 3HQ. The car park is open 24 hours. Charges apply (£6.00 up to twelve hours). Please click here for information and location details. Please note this car park is a fifteen minute walk to/from our building and delegates should allow ample time to park and register for the course.
You are responsible for organising your own evening meals and accommodation (if required), except on Wednesday when the course dinner is included. A list of hotels close to the University is available and will be provided with your course joining instructions.