The course is specifically designed to provide a thorough grounding in all aspects of clinical nutrition and
- Summarise national nutrition drivers to provide a foundation for the course.
- Increase awareness of nutritional compromise and its consequences; give practical guidance on assessment of patients, and discuss particular patient groups (surgicalpatients, those with irritable bowel syndrome, renal disease, eating disorders and liver disease).
- Discuss practicalities of feeding in terms of ethics, different methods of feeding and understand more about different techniques to give artificial nutrition.
- Establish principles of nutritional importance in extreme clinical situations (short bowel syndrome, refeeding syndrome, parenteral nutrition).
The 2017 course is sponsored by Vitaflo
Day 1: Assessment and different clinical scenarios
- Nutrition and risk – what can we do?
- Assessing nutritional status
- Normal BMI
- Very underweight
- Special circumstances
- Nutrition and fluid balance
- Short bowel syndrome
- Nutrition and the liver patient.
Day 2: Enteral feeding and nutrition in special circumstances
- Practicalities of enteral feeding
- Refeeding syndrome
- Playing with PEGs/gastrostomy tubes
- Jejunal feeding
- Buried bumper, nasal bridles, etc.
- Nutrition in patients with late effects of cancer
- Dietary therapies in IBS
- Ethics of feeding
- Liquid dietary therapy in Crohn’s disease in adults
- Nutrition and the patient with an eating disorder.
Day 3: Nutrition in special circumstances and parenteral nutrition
- Paediatric surgery and nutritional consequences for children and adults
- Nutrition and the surgical patient
- Pharmacy and parenteral nutrition
- Psychological aspects of home parenteral nutrition
- Kullavanijaya International Guest Lecture: To be announced
- Cases of IF
- PN issues – working out requirements
- Management of abnormal LFTs.
Exhibition and sponsorship opportunities
As in previous years, there will be a small exhibition of related products from the pharmaceutical, equipment and food industries.
Who should attend?
The Leeds Course in Clinical Nutrition is aimed at you if you’re a professional with an interest in clinical nutrition. It will particularly appeal to you if you have an interest in patient nutrition or if you’re a:
- hospital pharmacist
- nursing staff member.
What our delegates say
"Excellent course content, well presented and put together. The workshops were excellent."
"Course content excellent with a wide variety of topics."
"Fabulous, fabulous, fabulous! Thank you"
“Excellent course, covering a wide range of nutrition topics with excellent speakers.”
Dr Clare Donnellan - Consultant Gastroenterologist, The Leeds Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust
The Leeds Course in Clinical Nutrition’ (code: 111251) has been approved by the Federation of the Royal Colleges of Physicians of the United Kingdom for 17 category 1 (external) CPD credit(s).
The course has also been endorsed by the Association for Nutrition, BAPEN, British Dietetic Association, British Society of Gastroenterology and the National Nurses Nutrition Group. BDA endorsement applies only to the educational
content of the learning activity.
The 2017 course is sponsored by Vitaflo
NHS/academic employees fee £440
Course fees include:
- cost of tuition
- course materials
- light refreshments
- and the course dinner on Wednesday 13 September
Faculty of Engineering
University of Leeds
Car parking for visitors is unavailable at the University.
The nearest public car park is Woodhouse Lane (multi storey) at LS1 3HQ. The car park is open 24 hours. Charges apply (£6.00 up to twelve hours). Please click here for information and location details. Please note this car park is a fifteen minute walk to/from our building and delegates should allow ample time to park and register for the course.
You are responsible for organising your own evening meals and accommodation (if required), except on Wednesday when the course dinner is included. A list of hotels close to the University is available and will be provided with your course joining instructions.
T: + 44 (0)113 343 2494