Professor Animesh Jha
- Position: Professor of Applied Materials Science
- Areas of expertise: glass & mineral science; optical fibre, bulk & waveguide glass/glass-ceramic device engineering; rare-earth lasers & amplifiers; pulsed laser processing; bone & dental restoration tissue engineering
- Email: A.Jha@leeds.ac.uk
- Phone: +44(0)113 343 2342
- Location: 3.16 Engineering Building
- Website: ORCID: 0000-0003-3150-5645 | LinkedIn | GoogleScholar
- Bachelor of Engineering (BE), University of Roorkee (India), Master of Engineering (ME), Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore (India)
- PhD and DIC, Imperial College (London)
- Postdoctoral Research Fellowship (Mineral Science) - Purdue University W. Lafayette USA (May 1985 - Nov 1986)
- Postdoctoral Research Fellowship (Glasses for IR Photonics): University of Sheffield, Sheffield (UK) (Dec 1986 - April 1989).
- Lecturership at Brunel University, Uxbridge (UK) (May 1989 - Feb 1996)
- Reader in Materials Processing, University of Leeds, Leeds (UK) (March 1996 - July 2000)
- Professor of Applied Materials Science and group leader of glass science and devices for photonics since 2000.
- Ultra-fast laser processing of bone and dental tissue materials (restorative materials engineering)
- My ORCID: 0000-0003-3150-5645
- Author of a book on "Inorganic Glasses for Photonics" (to be published by Wiley in May 2016).
- Editorial resposnibilities for (Nature Publishing Group Scientific Reports, Optical Materials, Trans C IMM (IoM3 Journal)
- EPSRC Peer-review
- International Peer Reviewer (Canada, Hongkong, Qatar, Portugal, Romania, USA)
- Author/co-author of 400+ research papers published in peer-reviewed journals and conference proceedings (Google Scholar Citations h-index: 36, Scopus: 32, and WoS: 30).
- PhD and postodoctoral research supervision experience since 1989 (More than 30 PhD/MPhil theses, 25+ PDRF supervision)
- Experience of managing large, medium and small size grants supported by various bodies (EU, RCUK, US Military, UK Defense, British Council)
- International Advisory Board Members of Conference Committees (ICOOPMA, ISNOG, ICG) and Symposium organizer with the TMS and IoP Photonics Conference
- Technology translation and exploitation experience since 2000 (named inventor on 45+ patents)
- Board members of spin-out companies for technology translation
- Glass Science and Photonic Device Engineering Group Leader
- Critical Materials Processing and Mineral Science Research Leader
- Laser-Matter Interaction and Bio-photonics of Tissue Lab In-Charge
Processing of rare-earth doped glass, glass ceramics, thin films via pulsed laser deposition, optical fibre engineering for lasers, sensors and amplifiers and materials engineering for optical integration. Interaction of lasers with biological matter (dental minerals, bone) and rare-earth ion conjugated bio-minerals.
Fundamentals of chemical kinetics, thermodynamics, and phase transformation, applications of materials fundamentals for processing of rare-earth and critical materials and minerals. Mineral process engineering and flow-sheet development.
Spectroscopic characterization of glass and minerals, bio-minerals and animal tissues (FTIR, UV-visible, Raman, laser spectroscopy)
- Bachelor of Engineering (B.E.) Metallurgy
- Master of Engineering (M.E.) Metallurgical Engineering
- PhD, DIC
- Fellow of the Institute of Physics (UK)
- Fellow of the Royal Society of Chemistry (UK)
- Senior Member of Optical Society of America (USA)
- Member of IEEE
- Member of The Metal Society (TMS) in US
Optical and optoelectronic properties of materials, waveguide and fibre engineering and characterisations, Fundamentals of Optics and Photonics, Electronic and magnetic properties of materials, Glass and ceramic science, Process Thermodynamics and Kinetics.
Research groups and institutes
- Functional Materials, Products and Devices