- Position: Senior Teaching Fellow
- Areas of expertise: process analytics including data and process mining, modelling, conformance, simulation and visualisation); Electronic Health Record (EHR) systems; health informatics strategy and implementation
- Email: O.A.Johnson@leeds.ac.uk
- Phone: +44(0)113 343 5459
- Location: 7.19 E C Stoner Building
- Website: LinkedIn | GoogleScholar | ResearchGate
Owen Johnson has 30 years experience as an information systems practitioner. He has led the development, implementation and strategic management of IT within major blue-chip organisations including as BT, Amoco and Forte and was IT Manager for Sodexho (Gardner Merchant) Prestige, a +£100m turnover division of the world's largest catering company, Sodexho. Owen spent five years as Vice Chair of Bradford Community Housing Trust, a £60m turnover trust (now InCommunities www.incommunities.co.uk). He is a director of university spin out company X-Lab, an e-health software company specialising in disruptive innovaation in healthcare. He also is also health informatics advisor to the Royal College of Pathology.
Current research focuses on process mining of e-health records from the UK NHS. Current projects include measuring compliance to chemotherapy pathways (Kerniati, Hall), developing pathway tools for the city of Leeds (Johnson), review and alerts from medical text using IBM Watson (Piotrkowicz), improving musculoskeletal care (Crossfield, Sykes), care pathways in dentistry (Fox), Markov chain modelling in diabetes care (Alharbi). The team are based in the School of Computing and LIDA (Leeds Institute for Data Analytics - a £12m investment in state-of-the-art facilities for secure big data research).
He has supervised 10 PhDs, published 30 peer reviewed papers and is a co-investigator on 6 research grants totally £11m.
Business Computing, systems thinking, informatics strategy.
Research groups and institutes
- Applied Computing in Biology, Medicine and Health
Postgraduate research opportunities
We welcome enquiries from motivated and qualified applicants from all around the world who are interested in PhD study.
Projects currently available: