Dr Claire Brockett
I am a University Academic Fellow in Bioengineering of the Ankle. I qualified with a BEng(Hons) in Medical Engineering from the University of Bradford, during which I spent a year in industry at DePuy International - where I worked as a research engineer. I completed a PhD at the University of Leeds in 2007, studying the tribology of large diameter metal-on-metal hip resurfacing replacements. Since then, I have been involved in a number of collaborative projects through post-doctoral positions with industry and clinicians focussed on the wear and tribological behaviour of hip and knee replacements.
I have led many of the public engagement activities undertaken by the iMBE, including designing and delivering science-fair exhibits and demonstrations at Otley Science Fair, The Big Bang Fair and Cheltenham Science Festival. I've undertaken a postgraduate certificate in Practical Science Communication, and still regularly get involved with external activities such as the Otley Science Cafe.
- Deputy Programme Director for CDT TERM iMBE, CDT MBE and DTC TERM
My research interest focusses on bioengineering interventions for the treatment of injury and degeneration in the ankle joint. Current research includes the development of novel experimental simulation for pre-clinical testing of total ankle replacement and understanding the failure mechanisms in ankle replacement. As degeneration of the ankle joint is often associated with previous injury, I am keen to understand the properties and function of the natural joint. I am involved with mechanical and biological characterisation of tissues, development of natural experimental simulation and computational multi-body modelling of the biomechanics of the foot and ankle. I work with industry, clinicians, biologists and biomechanists to develop models that will allow us to assess new treatments and interventions for ankle degeneration.
- PhD (University of Leeds, Tribology of Large Diameter Metal-on-Metal resurfacing replacements)
- BEng (Hons) Medical Engineering with a Year in Industry (University of Bradford)
- PGCert in Practical Science Communication
- CEng - Institution of Mechanical Engineers
- Member: Orthopaedic Research Society
- Member: British Orthopaedic Research Society
- Associate Member: British Orthopaedic Foot and Ankle Society
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
I presently teach on a number of medical engineering related modules, including Biotribology, Biomaterials, Functional Joint Replacement and Medical Engineering Design.
I am a level 3 project supervisor for engineering and product design students, and offer medical-engineering related projects for MSc.
Research groups and institutes
- Institute of Medical and Biological Engineering