Dr. Stephen J Wright
- Position: Lecturer
- Areas of expertise: aviation; commercial aircraft; aircraft systems; aviation security; aviation operations; heat transfer; fouling; human factors; predictive aircraft maintenance; Horizon 2020; European Expert; CleanSky
- Email: S.J.Wright@leeds.ac.uk
- Phone: +44(0)113 343 1598
- Location: G17 Energy Building
- Website: LinkedIn
Dr. Wright's aviation career spans from the Far East with Cathay Pacific Airways as an instructor within Flight Operations. Later, he returned to the UK and was employed by CityFlyer Express (wholy owned subsidary of British Airways Plc) at London Gatwick as an Engineering Technical Instructor and latterly running the training school.
Post 9-11, worked for Lufthansa Resource Technical Training, establishing the UK division of Luftansa's engineering training services in post as Training Manager and latterly Quality Manager.
Held post at Kingston University as Senior Lecturer on the approved JAR (EASA) Part 147 Foundation Degree in Aircraft Engineering.
Came to the University of Leeds January 2008, lecturing on the Aviation Technology with pilot studies/ management studies programmes in the Faculty of Engineering.
Currently the University of Leeds representative for the Association of Aerospace Universities (AAU.ac.uk).
External examiner (subject expert) for UK based Universities - typically a five year tenure.
Independant External academic for UK based Universities for the validation of new Aviation themed courses.
Also European Union registered 'expert' in the discipline of Aviation - regularly attends Horizon 2020 EU events as a senior member of the evaluation team. Also an appointed as 'expert' to the H2020 Cleansky EU research programme.
Holder of EASA flight crew license.
Various publications in subject discipline including aircraft system performance, runway excursions, human factors (for pilots/ engineers/ ATC) and predictive aircraft maintenance.
Various PhD supervision students - completions in Human Factors and Aviation Engineering with Human Factor effects
Interdisciplinary research (with Medical School and Institute of Transport Studies) - pending Horizon 2020 grant application and pending ESRC grant. Co-supervisor of UoL of sponsored PhD with Medical and ITS - Aviation Human Factors research.
Numerous regular media releases for all formats internationally.
- Applications in Aviation/Aerospace
- Aircraft Air-conditioning Systems and Affects of Particulate Matter Fouling
- Aircraft Systems
- Crew Resource Management (CRM) Performance of Commercial Multi Flight Crew/Single Pilot Crew
- Environmental Effects on Aircraft Systems and Components
- Runway excursions and analysis/ prediction
- Heat Exchanger Performance
- Human Factors (inc Safety Management Systems) Performance in Aircraft Engineering
- Industrial liaison with commercial airlines, maintenance organisations and associated support industries.
- Post graduate certificate in Teaching and Learning in Higher Education
- Batchelor of Science
- Member Royal Aeronautical Society
- Fellow of Higher Education Academy
- Member of Staff Development Association
I lecture all the aviation students across all years.
First years attend the introductory lectures into the aviation discipline, and latterly into the more general engineering science fields: I lead both of these fields.
Second year students attend lectures on aircraft performance, and a more in depth investigation of aircraft systems.
Final year students are presented with Crew Resource Management and Human Factors sessions, to understand the current issues and limitation of human performance in the aviation industry context.
For the Chemical / Petrolium/ Nuclear Engineering programmes, I lead the Technical Skills module (CAPE 1000) wich includes the laboratory practicals.
I was awarded a Post Graduate of Teaching and Learning in Higher Education -an approved course (by Kingston University) to support my University teaching; Member of Staff Development Association. Further to this, I have been awarded Fellowship of the Higher Education Academy, recognising my educational achievements.
Research groups and institutes
- Clean Combustion
- Low Carbon Energy
- Waste Management and Resource Recovery