Professor John Fisher
- Position: Professor
- Areas of expertise: medical engineering; bioengineering; biomaterials; medical devices; biomechanics; regenerative medicine
- Email: J.Fisher@leeds.ac.uk
- Phone: +44(0)113 343 2128
- Location: X306 Medical & Biological Engineering School of Mechanical Engineering
Professor Fisher also has an active role as a leading researcher in Medical and Biological Engineering, as Director of Wellcome Trust/EPSRC Medical Engineering Centre WELMEC, Director of EPSRC Innovation and Knowledge Centre in Regenerative Therapies and Devices, Director of EPSRC Centre for Innovative Manufacturing in Medical Devices, Director of White Rose Doctoral Training Centre in Tissue Engineering and Regenerative Medicine, Co Director of NIHR Leeds Musculoskeletal Biomedical Research Unit. As the former Director of the Institute for Medical and Biological Engineering, he provided leadership to over 200 academic researchers in Medical Engineering at Leeds. Professor Fisher stepped down from this role in Summer 2016.
The Institute of Medical and Biological Engineering (iMBE) has been rewarded with the 2012 Queen’s Anniversary Prize, the country’s highest accolade for an academic institution. The award, which was presented by the Queen in February 2012, recognises the contribution iMBE has made during two decades of cutting-edge medical engineering research and impact.
Professor Fisher holds a degree in Physics from Birmingham University and a PhD in Bioengineering from the University of Glasgow. He is a chartered Mechanical Engineer, having been appointed to the Chair of Mechanical Engineering at the University of Leeds in 1993 being awarded a DEng degree in 1996.
Professor Fisher received his CBE for services to Biomedical Engineering, is a Fellow of the Royal Academy of Engineering, FREng, and of the Academy of Medical Sciences, FMedSci, a Chartered Engineer, CEng, and Chartered Scientist, CSi.
Creator of four spin-out and start-up companies, including being founding chairman of Tissue Regenix plc, now an AIM listed company, with a market CAP £120m.
Personal research interests lie primarily in the following areas:
- Medical Engineering
- Joint Replacement
- Regenerative Devices
- BSc (Hons) 1st Class in Physics - Birmingham
- Postgraduate Certificate in Design & Manufacture - Preston
- PhD in Bioengineering - Glasgow
- DEng - Leeds
- Fellow, Institution of Mechanical Engineers - F.I.MECH.E.
- Chartered Engineer, Engineering Council - C.Eng
- Chartered Scientist, Institute of Physics and Engineering in Medicine - CSci
- Fellow, Institution of Physics and Engineering in Medicine - F.IPEM
- Fellow Royal Academy of Engineering - FREng
- Commander of the Order of the British Empire CBE