Dr Robert Holbrook
- Position: Research Fellow
- Areas of expertise: biomechanics; animal behaviour; navigation; fish; sensory systems; decision making;
- Email: R.I.Holbrook@leeds.ac.uk
- Phone: +44(0)113 343 4699
- Location: 7.27 E C Stoner Building
Before coming to Leeds as a research fellow in the School of Computer science I worked on flight control in Manduca sexta with Graham Taylor in the Flight Group at the Unversity of Oxford and before that with Theresa Burt de Perera in the Oxford Navigation Group on fish navigation through three-diemnsional environments.
I completed a D.Phil in Zoology at the University of Oxford where i investigated fish swimming and navigation in three-dimensions. I completed a BSc in Biological sciences (Environmental Biology) at the University of Leicester and an MSc in Ecology at the University of Wales, Bangor. I am a member of the Society of Experimental Biology (SEB), the Association for the Study Animal Behaviour (ASAB) and the Fisheries Society of the British Iles (FSBI).
My work is on the interface between biology and computer science. I am interested in modelling and testing the neuronal control of Caenorhabditis elegans locomotion while it is moving through three-dimensional environments. I use a combination of experimental and modelling techniques.
- Society of Experimental Biology (SEB)
- Association for the Study Animal Behaviour (ASAB)
- Fisheries Society of the British Iles (FSBI)
I provide lectures for the Faculty of Biological Sciences in animal navigation.
Research groups and institutes
- Applied Computing in Biology, Medicine and Health