Dr Ornella Iuorio
- Position: Associate Professor of Architecture & Structures
- Areas of expertise: light weight steel structures;
resilient historical constructions; retrofit; digital design&manufacturing
- Email: O.Iuorio@leeds.ac.uk
- Phone: +44(0)113 343 2294
- Location: 207 School of Civil Engineering
- Website: | Twitter | LinkedIn | GoogleScholar | ResearchGate
Dr Ornella Iuorio is an academic, researcher and designer working at the edge between Architecture and Structures. Ornella joined the University of Leeds in September 2015 as Lecturer (B, grade 8), teaching in the Architectural Engineering Programme, and has been promoted to “Associate Professor of Architecture and Structures” in 2019.
Educated in Architecture at the “University Federico II” in Naples (IT) and “University Gabriele D’Annunzio” in Chieti – Pescara, she holds MArch (hons) degree in Architecture and a Ph.D in Structural Engineering. She developed her research carrier at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) in Boston (USA) within the Structural Design Lab and Building Technology Program. She has published more than 70 scientific articles, including journal publications, technical reports and international conference papers.
Dr Iuorio is a Professional/Chartered Architect in UK and Italy. She is specialized in the area of housing, school and urban design.
Ornella acquired significant teaching experience as part-time professor in a number of design studios and lecturing in light-weight steel constructions.
Main education achievements:
- Ph.D. in “Design, Analysis and Experimentation of Structures", University of Chieti-Pescara “G. D’Annunzio”. Thesis: "Design procedures for cold formed steel housing in seismic area". (2006 - 2009)
- Visiting student. John Hopkins University, Baltimore, USA. Numerical analysis of thin walled members and wall systems. (2008)
- MSc in Architecture, University of Naples "Federico II". Thesis: “Cold Formed Steel Housing: technological and structural performance” (2005)
- School Champion for Athena Swan (2017 - today)
- Member: Research and Innovation Committee (2017-Today)
- Deputy Leader:
Dr Iuorio’s research impact is internationally recognised for its originality and interdisciplinary methods bridging between Resilient Structures, Architecture and Low-embodied Carbon Constructions. Her current research focuses on the transformation of construction processes and how prefabrication, optimization and digital fabrication can deliver more sustainable new constructions and retrofit the current built environment.
Dr Iuorio has recently been awarded as PI a KTP with Ilke Homes funded by Innovate UK, and an ESRC IAA grants on “Modular Housing, as response the UK housing Crisis”. She has been serving as Member of the Academic Board in the project TRUE “Transformational Routemapping for urban environment” in Leeds between 2016 and 2018. Before joining Leeds, she has been awarded as PI a postdoctoral fellowship funded by Singapore University of Technology and Design (SUTD) and MIT titled “Smart retrofit of resilient historical cities”.
She has been invited as a guest speaker and as member of scientific committees at international conferences and public lectures. She has been member of the scientific committee of international conferences as International fib Symposium on Conceptual Design of Structures (2019), ICSA 2019, SEEDS 2018 and she recently organized the international conference SAFESUST2 SURECON sponsored by the European Joint Research Centre (JRC) in Ispra. She also co-organized the international workshop on “Urban Metabolism, Green Insfrastructures and Environmental Quality” in Rondonopolis (Brasil), sponsored by the Universuty of Leeds, University of Reading, and Universidade Federal de Mato Grosso (Brazil).
Recent Grants & Awards
KTP Ilke Homes. Founded by Innovate UK. PI: Ornella Iuorio, Total value: £ 300,000 (2019-22)
ESRC LSSI IAA. Modular Housing, as response to the UK housing Crisis, PI: Ornella Iuorio, and Andrew Wallace. Project website: https://www.researchgate.net/project/Modular-house-building-as-a-response-to-the-housing-crisis-ESRC-LSSI-IAA Total value: £ 6,000 (2018-19)
EPSRC. TRUE “Transformational Routemapping for urban environment” PI: Paul Chatterton, Member of the Academic board for housing: Ornella Iuorio.
Leeds Cultural Institute. Leeds Creative Labs DARE Edition “Investigation of digital fabrication through perfomances”
Erasmus +. Training for Shaking table tests at University of Naples Federico II.
British Council/ FAPEG Newton Fund. Re-naturing cities: Theories, Strategies and Methodologies. Travel grant.
Dr Iuorio actively contributed to the following research projects:
ELISSA: “Energy Efficient LIghtweight--‐Sustainable--‐SAfe--‐Steel Construction” Seventh framework programme FP7--‐2013--‐NMP--‐ENV--‐EeB –Project n°: NMP4--‐SL--‐2013--‐609086 –Project acronym: ELISSA (Coordinator R. Landolfo). From 2013- 2016
Knauf Project "Experimental Campaign On The Structural Characterization Of Knauf Constructive Systems". Member of the Research unit. From 2013-2015
Reluis 2010-13. Network of University Laboratory of Earthquake Engineering" Financed by the Italian Emergency Agency. Unit 3” Steel members” Scientific Leaders: Professor Raffaele Landolfo and Professor Zandonini. Task 2: “Seismic design of new buildings”
RELUIS 2005-2008 "Network of University Laboratory of Earthquake Engineering" Financed by the Italian Emergency Agency. Unit n.1 “Design Principles and Rules for Braced Structures”. Scientific leader: Professor Federico Mazzolani. Task 5: “Development of innovative approaches to design structures in steel and composites.
FARO, Innovation and sustainability for building renewing. Best practice for Building Retrofit and Maintenance.
PROHITECH: “Earthquake protection of historical buildings by reversible mixed technologies”. Sixth framework programme priority FP6-2002-INCO-MPC-1 – Project n°: INCO-CT-2004-509119 (Coordinator F.M. Mazzolani)
COST Action C25 “Sustainability of Constructions: an integrated approach to life time structural engineering”, within WG3 “LIFE-TIME STRUCTURAL ENGINEERING”, supported by EU RTD Framework Programme, within COST- European Cooperation in the field of Scientific and Technical Research.
COST Action C26 “Urban Habitat Constructions under Catastrophic Events” supported by EU RTD Framework Programme, within COST- European Cooperation in the field of Scientific and Technical Research.
- MArch (hons)
- Fellow of Higher Education Academy
- Architect Registration Board (ARB)
- Architect and Urban Planner Registration Board in Italy
- IALCCE: International Association for Life Cycle Civil Engineering
- IASS: The Iternational Association for Shell and Spatial Structures
- Italian LCA Network
- 2016 - Today Teaching in the Architectural Engineering Programme, University of Leeds. Module leader for Design studio 3.1 (CIVE 3850) and module leader of Architectural History and Theory 3 (CIVE 3270). She also collaborates in AE Design Studio 2, and Environmental Health Engineering in Developing Countries.
- 2015 Kauffman Teaching Certificate Program, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, USA
- 2010 – 2011 Part-time Professor of Construction Technologies within Design Studio, Faculty of Architecture, University of Naples Federico II
- 2009 - 2012 Teaching assistant, MEng “Design of Steel Structures”, University of Naples Federico II, Class: Thin-Walled Structure Design
- 2006- 2012 Teaching assistant, Faculty of Architecture, University of Naples “Federico II”, Class: Laboratory of Structural Engineering
Dr Iuorio currently supervises 3 PhD students
Jamiu Dauda, "Numerical and experimental investigation of unreinforced masonry wall retrofitted with timber panels"
Marinella Contestabile, "Designing contemporary masonry shell structures"
Elvira Romano, "Sustainable integrated renovation of existing buildings: structural retrofit of concrete Large Panel System (LPS) residential blocks"
Research groups and institutes
- Energy Leeds
- Institute of Design, Robotics and Optimisation
- Materials and Structures
- Cities and Infrastructure
- Energy and Sustainable Buildings